7K views

I have been a subscriber to Consumer Reports for many years & use it prior to any major purchases. I need to ask for your expertise.

I purchased a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE with automatic transmission in November 2009 from a Nissan dealership. I noticed a slight vibration coming from the rear that I thought was probably the tires being unbalanced. That was not the problem.

A month ago on a long trip, I noticed that the transmission was vibrating and dragging down the speed whenever I let up on the gas pedal.

When I returned home I did a quick internet search for answers.

The search revealed case after case of the same vibrating problem from other Pathfinder owners. It was determined that water from the radiator was somehow seeping into the transmission, ruining its function, and worse, voiding the drive-train warranty as a result.

I have three questions:

1) How would water from the radiator enter the transmission?

2) Is there any way to correct this problem before it ruins the transmission & radiator, requiring expensive repairs and/or replacement?

3) Why hasn't there been a recall for this problem by Nissan?

Had an Experience with Nissan?

Comments

TRANSMISSIOM LINE GOES THRU THE RADITOR. REPLACE RADITOR QUICKLY. I DID ON A 2005 PATHFINDER AT 85,000 MILES AND SAVED A BUNCH OF MONEY

Colorado, United States #913271

Nissan will not pay for their faulty radiator design.You will be replacing the transmission if you don't replace the radiator.

Replace the radiator NOW.By the time the engine light comes on , it is to late.

I did the research before buying my 07 Nissan Pathfinder and when I bought it I went straight home and disconnected the transmission cooler in radiator and hooked up a Derale 8000 after market cooler and did complete tranny flush n fill and so far no problems and I will not have to worry about the dreaded transmission failure.2 hours of work and $150 dollars is well worth it to keep my pathy running trouble free.

to Pathy SE #939029

Now all u have to worry about is the $2000 timing chain problem, the $3500 oil consumption problem, and a plethora of other gremlins that infect these Renault influenced Nissans.

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada #802495

I WAS DRIVING OVER THE PORT MANN BRIDGE, WHEN MY VEHICLE STARTED STUDDERING.I LOST POWER BUT WITH SOME QUICK THINKING I WAS ABLE TO PUT MY VEHICLE IN NEUTRAL AND SURF MOST OF THE WAY AND THEN SWITCH BACK INTO GEAR.

WORKED FOR A BIT BUT ENDED UP STRANDED. I CALLED FOR A TOW TRUCK TOOK IT TO A MECHANIC AND HE DROVE IT OFF THE FLAT BED. SHORTLY AFTER, ADVISED ME MY TRANSMISSION NO LONGER WORKS. HE MENTIONED THAT THE RADIATOR COOLANT HAD LEAKED INTO THE TRANSMISSION AND HE WAS CERTAIN THE PREVIOUS OWNERS KNEW ABOUT IT.

THE RADIATOR WAS REPLACED AND THE TRANSMISSION WAS FLUSHED BUT THE DAMAGE WAS ALREADY DONE. Basically, the previous owners withheld that info and lied. Now having read the articles this has been an ongoing issue that Nissan has failed to recall.

However, there is a pending class action lawsuit and hopefully the recall will go through.Many owners are disappointed with Nissan and I am also upset with the seller not being honest, THEY BOTH PUT MY LIFE IN DANGER.

Cut Off, Louisiana, United States #800041

Same problem.2006 Pathfinder with 103,000 miles.

The lawyer from the class action lawsuit says if it would've happened before flipping over 100K, he could help me. I talked to a few mechanics. A couple of them told me I had to rebuild the tranny and replace the radiator, while a couple of others said to replace the radiator and flush the tranny out. I'm sure it would be better with the first option, but I don't have that kind of money.

So, I'm gonna have to try the 2nd option.I will NEVER purchase a Nissan again.

Chicago, Illinois, United States #728202

Same problem.We have already replaced the radiator and flushed the trans.

Seems the trans is still messed up because the truck is still acting up.

We might end up having to fix the trans.2 questions: do I have to place a new one or can it be rebuilt?

After these repairs, will it happen again or will it be a permanent fix?

Chicago, Illinois, United States #719071

same problem with the trans.I have a pathfinder 2005 .130k miles.

this june.anti-freeze leaked into the transmission. I replaced the radiator and all hose assembly, change twice the trans. oil and filter.$950 cost.

now I still have the trans.problem that it will cost from $3500 to $5000.I called the dealer they charge twice as much.

Denver, Colorado, United States #689941

I have a 2006 pathfinder the transmission fluid mixed with the anti-freeze because of a faulty radiator and the dealership said my pathfinder had over 100,000 mile so they are not responsible.So now my pathfinder sits in my driveway because it will take 2500 to 3500 dollars to fix.

I have had 6 Nissan in the past BUT since no one will help me I will NEVER buy another one and I hope they go out of business.

Hi i have a nissan pathfinder 2008 LE V6 they star vibrate on i think its transmission it feel like the bump on the side of the road they doet sometimes at any speed please i nees help :eek