I own a 1992 Nissan Maxima, had it since 1992. Five here ago, I returned home after after six month. The car was stored in my garage. It would not start, that was not surprising, the battery was completely discharged. I called AAA. They came, jump started the car. I drove it to the supermarket. did some other errands. When I returned, the car would not start. Another call to AAA and I drove the car to our award winning mechanic on Vashon Island (were we live). He discovered that that there was a power drain even when the engine was turned off. He could not figure out why; he did notice that when the power window fusible link was removed, the power drain stopped.

I called Mark Rosa, a good mechanic in Vancouver I know. He suggested I bring the car to his shop. In Vancouver, we first noticed that the power windows did not work and that all the power window switches were "fried" and caused the power drain.

Mark discovered an internal Nissan Service Bulletin (see attachment) that says:

"APPLIED VEHICLE(S): 1989-1992 Maxima (J30)

SERVICE INFORMATION

Jump-starting the applied model under certain conditions may cause damage to the Power Window Switches resulting in their improper operation. This can be prevented by following

the procedure listed below when jump-starting the vehicle."

Obviously, this is design flaw in these vehicles. Apparently, Nissan discovered it only on February 6, 1992. Nissan did not recall these vehicles, nor tried to contact the owners and warn them about this problem. When I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs, the response was "sorry, your car is our of warrantee" when I persisted, a case number was created to "document my complaint" (see attachment). Nissan Consumer Affairs suggested that I take the car to a Nissan Dealership at Car Pro in Burien to be diagnosed. I did, at first, the service department insisted that I pay for the diagnosis. I refused. The Service department manager, was polite, willing to listen. He admitted that he never heard of this problem, and was not aware of the service bulletin. He did provide a diagnosis which I sent to Consumer Affairs. Nissan responded by asking me to call them. After many attempts that resulted in leaving a message on an answering machine, (I was calling from Hanoi, Vietnam where I was working) I finally managed to talk to a person. I was told that Nissan will not do anything about the problem and that I will not receive anything in writing, not even an e-mail.

Modern cars are complicated and design flaws can happen. Most companies, will recall cars when a flaw is discovered. Nissan does not adhere to this policy. Nissan believes that there customers should:

"pay if they make an error and also pay if Nissan makes an error."

In Summary:

1. Nissan had design flaw starting in 1989.

2. They discovered it in Feb. 1992.

3. They failed to advise owners, did not advertize or recall the cars with the design flaw.

4. After ***-footing for five years, they refused to fix the problem.

I WILL NEVER CONSIDER BUYING A NISSAN CAR AND I SUGGEST YOU THINK TWICE BEFORE DECIDING TO BUY ONE.

Product or Service Mentioned: Nissan Car.

Comments